I’ve been following Waiters Today for a while. I thought their approach was very innovative. They are attempting to build a true social networking site for servers. This site contains blogs, videos, groups, and everything else you would find on must other social networking sites. This one is different because it is designed for servers. It […]
Archive | Servers RSS feed for this section
After a lack of posts last week, I am going to kick off this week strong by addressing one of the most common misconceptions of rookie servers and bartenders. Time and time again new employees in the hospitality industry will risk their jobs by leaving items off of their guests’ checks. They do this with the idea that the guests will […]
On my server blog and in my book, I spend a great deal of time focusing on the special needs of certain groups of guests. Today I turn that focus to guests that are in town for a convention. The needs and desires of these guests are actually quite different from most tables you will serve. This […]
While 2011 wasn’t always kind to Groupon, there is no question the impact that if has had on the industry. It has become a polarizing topic in the industry that often leaves restaurant owners at odds with their guests. Very few restaurant owners avoided at least considering making a deal with the discounting giant. Many […]
A Merry Christmas to all who celebrate this day. A happy fifth day of Haunakkah to those in a tribe. A wonderful Sunday to everyone else. I can’t think of a better day to talk about hospitality than today. Well actually I am writing this on Wednesday because I fully intend to be pre-occupied with opening presents […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- My New Blogroll February 4, 2011
- The IRS Did Not Ban Automatic Gratuities January 1, 2014
- Introducing Best Restaurant Blogs April 15, 2013
- JJ’s February 20, 2013
- Tips For Proposing At A Restaurant February 12, 2013
- Do I Have To Tip? January 21, 2013
- Abel Perez: I am a server and this helped me alot. Thank you...
- MikeQ: Great industry stories, David. You wear so many h...
- MikeQ: What a lucky day it was when I found your blogs, D...
- MikeQ: Damn, David ... your new design makes The Majestic...
- David: That is a good idea I hadn't thought of. I am no...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.