I promised a very important post on Friday and today I am delivering with my thoughts on the disappointing leadership displayed by Darden Restaurants. Their recent decision to publicly announce cutting hours of employees in four test markets to avoid the costs of providing health insurance is deplorable. To make such a public announcement over […]
Archive | Servers RSS feed for this section
If we are going to be honest with ourselves, not ever restaurant server is cut out for every restaurant serving job. There is a dance that has to be done to find the right job for the right person. It is not that the job or the server are bad. They might just not be […]
I am continuing preview week with a peek at the upcoming focus on server training and more specifically server training manuals.Â I recently created, narrated, and released a video discussing my beliefs here.Â They can be summarized fairly simply: most restaurant serverÂ training manuals are written with the assumption that both the server and guest are […]
I was watching a restaurant review show recently where they discussed a Kansas City Steakhouse that I have written about a great deal lately.Â One of the reviewers said something very interesting.Â She stated, “For the prices I was paying I felt like I should have my own server.”Â I found this statement very interesting.Â […]
I gave into exhaustion last night and went to sleep when the clock still read PM.Â This in turn had me awake earlier than normal.Â I grabbed my laptop and started writing before the coffee kicked in.Â This lead to a post that will have to be taken down in the next month or so.Â […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- My New Blogroll February 4, 2011
- Gootloader infection cleaned up February 27, 2022
- The IRS Did Not Ban Automatic Gratuities January 1, 2014
- Introducing Best Restaurant Blogs April 15, 2013
- JJ’s February 20, 2013
- Tips For Proposing At A Restaurant February 12, 2013
- Abel Perez: I am a server and this helped me alot. Thank you...
- MikeQ: Great industry stories, David. You wear so many h...
- MikeQ: What a lucky day it was when I found your blogs, D...
- MikeQ: Damn, David ... your new design makes The Majestic...
- David: That is a good idea I hadn't thought of. I am no...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.