I wanted to take a moment to thank you personally for visiting this site after seeing the segment on the midday show. It was a privilage to be asked to appear to discuss my book. I do feel that this book is a valuable tool for those in the service industry, and particuarly those in […]
Tag Archives | Waiter
Some of you might have caught my post last week about changing jobs. It is tough as a server to spread the word about such things. It is questionably ethical to let it be known to your casual regulars. Job changes generally occur with little fanfare and a maximum of two weeks’ warning. This inevitably […]
We were all rookies at one time. We walked in confident the first day at a new restaurant only to end up with a deer-in-the-headlights look by the first rush. I’ve worked at plenty of restaurants over the years and know the feeling all to well. I have most certainly been “that guy” as well. […]
It was a most magnificent dream. Perhaps the most magnificent dream not featuring Alyssa Milano that I have ever had. I snuck back to the private dining room between shifts for a little piece and quiet. I must have dozed off for a second because I found myself in a judge’s robe behind the bench. […]
One of the most difficult situations any server faces is the hostile guest. I call them hostile, because they are angry with you long before you have even greeted them. Some people just bring all the hostility of their day in to a restaurant and dump it on their server. From the moment you greet […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- My New Blogroll February 4, 2011
- The IRS Did Not Ban Automatic Gratuities January 1, 2014
- Introducing Best Restaurant Blogs April 15, 2013
- JJ’s February 20, 2013
- Tips For Proposing At A Restaurant February 12, 2013
- Do I Have To Tip? January 21, 2013
- Abel Perez: I am a server and this helped me alot. Thank you...
- MikeQ: Great industry stories, David. You wear so many h...
- MikeQ: What a lucky day it was when I found your blogs, D...
- MikeQ: Damn, David ... your new design makes The Majestic...
- David: That is a good idea I hadn't thought of. I am no...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.