We were all rookies at one time.Â We walked in confident the first day at a new restaurant only to end up with a deer-in-the-headlights look by the first rush.Â Iâ€™ve worked at plenty of restaurants over the years and know the feeling all to well.Â I have most certainly been â€œthat guyâ€ as well.Â […]
About David HaydenRestaurant industry professional helping small restaurants with their training, operations, and marketing needs. Author of Tips2: Tips For Increasing Your Tips and Building Your Brand With Facebook. You can also visit my other websites and blogs at: http://www.tips2book.com http://www.restaurant-marketing-plan.com http://www.themanagersoffice.com http://www.tipssquared.com http://www.foodieknowledge.com http://www.restaurantlaughs.com http://www.tipsfortips.wordpress.com
Tag Archives | Server
It was a most magnificent dream.Â Perhaps the most magnificent dream not featuring Alyssa Milano that I have ever had.Â I snuck back to the private dining room between shifts for a little piece and quiet.Â I must have dozed off for a second because I found myself in a judgeâ€™s robe behind the bench.Â […]
One of the most difficult situations any server faces is the hostile guest.Â I call them hostile, because they are angry with you long before you have even greeted them.Â Some people just bring all the hostility of their day in to a restaurant and dump it on their server.Â From the moment you greet […]
This will be relevant by the end of the post. â€œSubtlety is the art of saying what you think and getting out of the way before it is understood.â€ â€“Anonymous We as a society have really lost the power of subtlety.Â It could be because we have lost the patience to unravel it.Â We receive […]
As you are reading this, I am most likely sitting in a courthouse awaiting a trial.Â Not my trial or anything of that nature.Â I was summoned for jury duty.Â If this is the last post for a while, you will know I was sequestered for the crime of the century.Â In anticipation of my […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- My New Blogroll February 4, 2011
- Gootloader infection cleaned up February 27, 2022
- The IRS Did Not Ban Automatic Gratuities January 1, 2014
- Introducing Best Restaurant Blogs April 15, 2013
- JJ’s February 20, 2013
- Tips For Proposing At A Restaurant February 12, 2013
- Abel Perez: I am a server and this helped me alot. Thank you...
- MikeQ: Great industry stories, David. You wear so many h...
- MikeQ: What a lucky day it was when I found your blogs, D...
- MikeQ: Damn, David ... your new design makes The Majestic...
- David: That is a good idea I hadn't thought of. I am no...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.