Â Do I really have to tip at restauants? The short answer is, “yes.”Â The longer answer is, “no, but you should compensate your server for paying for part of your meal.” In this toxic political environment, servers have come to be seen by many as the personification of the “entitlement class.”Â A tip is seen […]
Update: I have added further clarification in the IRS rules effecting automatic gratuities in restaurants and clearly making the case that the IRS did NOT ban automatic gratuities. The IRS issued a ruling last year that went into effect January 1st regarding taxes paid on automatic gratuitiesÂ added to the bill of large parties.Â The ruling […]
Today, I took a step back in time.Â I stopped and thought about my first day as a restaurant manager on New Year’s Eve 2001.Â Actually, I blocked that shift out of my memory because three servers noÂ called/no showed and I was nothing more than someone with keys and a manager card.Â On January 2nd, […]
Today I am incredibly proud to make an announcement that has been in the works for over six months.Â Every site on The Hospitality Formula Network is now fully optimized for all screen sizes.Â This means that weather you are reading this on a mobile phone, tablet, laptop, or even your television; it should be […]
There are no shortages of posts on this network calling out hit pieces on restaurants, but last weekâ€™s 20/20 episode set a new low. They used an expert who hasnâ€™t worked in the industry since the 90â€™s to provide the shocking â€œnew revelations.â€ They pulled out Willie Degel to provide them with insight on every […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- My New Blogroll February 4, 2011
- Gootloader infection cleaned up February 27, 2022
- The IRS Did Not Ban Automatic Gratuities January 1, 2014
- Introducing Best Restaurant Blogs April 15, 2013
- JJ’s February 20, 2013
- Tips For Proposing At A Restaurant February 12, 2013
- Abel Perez: I am a server and this helped me alot. Thank you...
- MikeQ: Great industry stories, David. You wear so many h...
- MikeQ: What a lucky day it was when I found your blogs, D...
- MikeQ: Damn, David ... your new design makes The Majestic...
- David: That is a good idea I hadn't thought of. I am no...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.