For those of you who are visiting after hearing me on Up To Date this morning, welcome.Â I know there were lots of calls and questions that didn’t get answered.Â I am happy to take a swing at any of them.Â You can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.orgÂ or send a tweet to @tips4tips.Â Take a […]
Archive | Uncategorized RSS feed for this section
This is a topic that I have been debating writing about for a long time.Â It is an incredibly important topic that can improve both the satisfaction of your guests and increase your income.Â It is also one of the least popular topics amongst servers.Â Managers often preach the benefits of selling additional items to […]
It struck me last night as I was checking my stats that I didn’t post yesterday’s Weird Restaurant Stories over on this blog.Â It was really a pretty strong week for bizarre stories, so I wouldn’t want anyone to miss it.Â I also just finished up this weeks version of The Restaurant Industry Indsider.Â The […]
In part one; we discussed the difficulties faced by managers, servers, and guests resulting from shrinking renewals budgets.Â I advanced the idea of treating glasses, plates, and tableware as inventory rather than purely as an expense.Â This allows the cost of these items to be more accurately reflected on your P&L.Â Breaking a plate is […]
Welcome back to the first edition of Weird Restaurant Stories of 2011.Â This year I am introducing some changes to the format of this feature.Â Most notably, I am removing the regional competition.Â I am also eliminating the US versus The World contest every week.Â This will allow for more international stories when they are […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- My New Blogroll February 4, 2011
- Gootloader infection cleaned up February 27, 2022
- The IRS Did Not Ban Automatic Gratuities January 1, 2014
- Introducing Best Restaurant Blogs April 15, 2013
- JJ’s February 20, 2013
- Tips For Proposing At A Restaurant February 12, 2013
- Abel Perez: I am a server and this helped me alot. Thank you...
- MikeQ: Great industry stories, David. You wear so many h...
- MikeQ: What a lucky day it was when I found your blogs, D...
- MikeQ: Damn, David ... your new design makes The Majestic...
- David: That is a good idea I hadn't thought of. I am no...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.