Last week’s post about Darden and restaurant server health insurance led to many interesting conversations this week. In perusing different sites the article was shared on, I noticed a strong undertone of hostility towards the idea that employers should provide health insurance. In other cases people were upset at the notion of the government subsidizing […]
Archive | Managers RSS feed for this section
I promised a very important post on Friday and today I am delivering with my thoughts on the disappointing leadership displayed by Darden Restaurants. Their recent decision to publicly announce cutting hours of employees in four test markets to avoid the costs of providing health insurance is deplorable. To make such a public announcement over […]
As I wrap up my series on hiring restaurant servers in an improving economy, I wanted to address the need for speed and decisiveness in the hiring process. Too many restaurants have become accustomed to the luxury of being able to conduct 2-3 interviews with candidates before making a job offer. These same restaurants are […]
In continuing my series about hiring restaurant servers in a strengthening economy, I wanted to discuss the risks of not hiring the servers you need. restaurant managers are often faced with complaints from servers about being overstaffed. These complaints may be about not getting enough hours, shifts, tables, or any number of other issues. This is […]
Restaurant marketing on Facebook has been a hot topic on this blog lately. Since the release of my Facebook Restaurant Marketing package. I have been building towards the release of a new blog on The Hospitality Formula Network. You have seen the ads on each of the sites, but those are only the beginning. Today, I am wrapping up preview week […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- My New Blogroll February 4, 2011
- The IRS Did Not Ban Automatic Gratuities January 1, 2014
- Introducing Best Restaurant Blogs April 15, 2013
- JJ’s February 20, 2013
- Tips For Proposing At A Restaurant February 12, 2013
- Do I Have To Tip? January 21, 2013
- Abel Perez: I am a server and this helped me alot. Thank you...
- MikeQ: Great industry stories, David. You wear so many h...
- MikeQ: What a lucky day it was when I found your blogs, D...
- MikeQ: Damn, David ... your new design makes The Majestic...
- David: That is a good idea I hadn't thought of. I am no...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.