The media has been frantically reporting the 2014 IRS ban on automatic gratuities in restaurants with the start of 2014. I have been quoted in articles in newspapers around the country on this issue and have been covering it for over a year. I have made the same plea to every reporter who contacted […]
Archive | Managers RSS feed for this section
Best Restaurant Blogs is the newest addition to The Hospitality Formula Network. This site differs from all of the other sites in the network in a few important ways. The biggest difference is that I am not the author of the site. This is because the content of this website is determined by the readers. […]
Update: I have added further clarification in the IRS rules effecting automatic gratuities in restaurants and clearly making the case that the IRS did NOT ban automatic gratuities. The IRS issued a ruling last year that went into effect January 1st regarding taxes paid on automatic gratuities added to the bill of large parties. The ruling […]
Today, I took a step back in time. I stopped and thought about my first day as a restaurant manager on New Year’s Eve 2001. Actually, I blocked that shift out of my memory because three servers no called/no showed and I was nothing more than someone with keys and a manager card. On January 2nd, […]
There are no shortages of posts on this network calling out hit pieces on restaurants, but last week’s 20/20 episode set a new low. They used an expert who hasn’t worked in the industry since the 90’s to provide the shocking “new revelations.” They pulled out Willie Degel to provide them with insight on every […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- Why Not To Date Co-Workers August 14, 2010
- Serving Sober October 14, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- My New Blogroll February 4, 2011
- The IRS Did Not Ban Automatic Gratuities January 1, 2014
- Introducing Best Restaurant Blogs April 15, 2013
- JJ’s February 20, 2013
- Tips For Proposing At A Restaurant February 12, 2013
- Do I Have To Tip? January 21, 2013
- Abel Perez: I am a server and this helped me alot. Thank you...
- MikeQ: Great industry stories, David. You wear so many h...
- MikeQ: What a lucky day it was when I found your blogs, D...
- MikeQ: Damn, David ... your new design makes The Majestic...
- David: That is a good idea I hadn't thought of. I am no...
Search by Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.